London Fashion Week Favourites: AW16

24 Feb 2016

As I didn't intern at or attend London Fashion Week this season but instead sat feeling envious as I watched the Snapchat stories and Instagram videos of those sat on the front row of various different catwalks, I thought I'd do a blog post like my last, showing my favourite collections from LFW AW16. Although I feel like there isn't much newness emerging this season so far (I have been underwhelmed by certain designers who I expected more from), LFW usually sees more risk-taking than NYFW and it certainly didn't disappoint. You can always count on London for the weird and wonderful, am I right? Here is my take on what that 'wonderful' is this season:

EUDON CHOI:
The overall essence of Eudon Choi's AW16 offering is very modern, thanks to the colour blocking and sharp tailoring. Silhouettes are more crisp and fitted than the designers SS16 collection yet not uninteresting, with trousers slit from just below the knee downwards creating a unique shape when walking. Though I usually avoid pastel colours, the pairing of pale purple and pink with navy blue works well and adds lightness to the dark hues commonly worn in autumn/winter. Apart from the random addition of a green print and a camel two-piece (which admittedly is gorgeous), the collection is consistent and sophisticated.


JULIEN MACDONALD:

Julien Macdonald never fails to bring a bit (read: a lot) of glamour to fashion week and this season is no different. Embellished, cut-out, glittering gowns with plunging necklines in monochrome or metallic are so awe-inducing you just can't take your eyes off them and the caged heels flatter each look perfectly. The menswear I am not so keen on but the collection had to make it into my favourites as I am the type of girl who can't resist a gorgeous dress.

TOPSHOP UNIQUE:
This was undoubtedly my favourite AW16 collection from LFW and quite possibly my all-time favourite from Topshop Unique. The colour palette is aesthetically pleasing - though naturally my favourite looks are the monochrome ones - and garments appear effortlessly stylish and wearable. Shapes vary from form-fitting to wide-leg trousers and mini to midi skirts but each are as flattering as one another. The outerwear is my personal favourite aspect of the collection - it is to die for, I mean look at those coats. To say the least, Topshop just knows how to get it right.

DAVID KOMA:

High necklines, asymmetric skirts and a mostly monochrome colour palette with pops of red and electric blue. It's like this collection was made for me to love/need/want. Structured tailoring and fitted silhouettes inspire confidence and studding doesn't overwhelm garments meaning a very chic, polished aesthetic is achieved. David Koma's collections are swiftly becoming firm favourites of mine. 

ANTONIO BERADI:

Seamlessly mixing masculine and feminine elements looks is central to this collection. Biker style jackets, buckles and sharp tailoring are paired with lace and chiffon to create a contrast which works beautifully. Cinched in waists accentuate the body and pointed-toe shoes complete each look. Antonio Beradi's collection is dark, glamorous and made to be worn by powerful women. 

Though there were many other shows that I loved and appreciated at LFW (Burberry, Alexander McQueen and Ashish to name a few), these five collections best suited my taste and had to be my favourites. I was actually more impressed with what London had to offer than New York this season as it all felt a bit more fresh and different from past collections. I can safely say that I'm excited for next Autumn/Winter to come around - however not too quickly, please!

All images from Vogue.com

Post a Comment

© Freya Ella. Design by FCD.