New York Fashion Week Favourites: AW17

19 Feb 2017

February, one of my favourite months of the year where the Autumn/Winter collections get sent down the runway and I stop longing for Spring and wish the winter months would last a little longer so I can trial some of the latest trends. Kicking off with New York, here I am again discussing my favourite collections from my favourite fashion week - this season I am pleasantly surprised to see some different contenders making the cut:

C I N Q   À  S E P T
I hadn't heard of contemporary brand Cinq à Sept before but after seeing snippets of show on Danielle from @weworewhat's Instagram story I had to check out the entire AW17 collection and I shortly became obsessed. Numerous trends that I really love are incorporated, namely ruffles and velvet - in THE most dreamy pink shade. Each look stands out but the collection isn't overtly maximalist, with expertly executed layering, feminine silhouettes and wearable prints. I also have to give a special mention to the socks and heels pairing which I'm not usually taken by, but it just works.

C U S H N I E  E T  O C H S
Cushnie et Ochs is a long-standing favourite brand of mine and I always adore their collections so it's no surprise to see them featuring in yet another blog post. This designer duo produce the best modern eveningwear in the most flattering, fluid and feminine shapes. Though the spaghetti strap dresses are pretty, for me the highlight of their AW17 collection has to be variety of wide leg jumpsuits and polished separates which ooze sophistication.

M I L L Y
The Milly AW17 collection is all about menswear influences, shirting and leather. Alongside the metallic pops and sheer dresses, the sleeves and tie-up details on the deconstructed shirts add a pretty element to an otherwise quite dark collection. Not too wearable that it becomes boring but not too out-there, this collection will definitely be influencing my personal wardrobe come Autumn.

A L E X A N D E R  W A N G
Firmly back in my favourites for a second season, Alexander Wang has won me back again with his AW17 collection. A punky, grungy collection emphasised by the worn-in hair and makeup sported by the models walking the runway. The dark looks aren't necessarily what you'd first associate with my personal style but the attention to detail is key to why I love them - frilled sleeves, velvet accents and subtle embellishment topped off with some to-die-for pointed toe ankle boots.

O S C A R  D E  L A  R E N T A
Eveningwear always has me in awe and let's be honest, can you really beat a good Oscar de la Renta gown? The AW17 collection feels fresh and modern, incorporating sophisticated day-to-night pieces alongside true opulent eveningwear, with colourful designs particularly focused around emphasising the waist. The strapless gowns are classic and princess-like, as you'd expect, but my highlights are the tailored, sequin and velvet looks.

B R A N D O N  M A X W E L L
Brandon Maxwell knows how to create eveningwear that can truly be described as sexy - and I'm not one for assigning that adjective to clothing very often. I've been following the designer since Karlie Kloss wore a dress of his to the Met Gala and have never been disappointed since. The AW17 collection is deep, powerful, fluid and feminine. My favourite looks come in white and dark teal, while the black strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline is also irresistible.

M I C H A E L  K O R S  C O L L E C T I O N
If you want to completely nail tonal dressing, look no further than Michael Kors's AW17 runway where models wore an assortment of monochromatic camel, grey and burgundy looks. Oversized tailoring, knitwear and statement outerwear have to be among the top components of a winning Autumn/Winter wardrobe and this collection provides plenty of all three. A pleasing variety of staple pieces that can be worn year after year as well as some conversation-starters, such the burgundy leather trench. 

I thought I would also give a special mention to the collections shown by Monse, Narciso Rodriguez, Self Portrait and Victoria Beckham which you should check out as well if you missed them - if I could I'm sure I would write about a countless number of shows I loved.

What were your favourite shows from NYFW this season?

Post a Comment

© Freya Ella. Design by FCD.