Paris Fashion Week Favourites: AW17

9 Mar 2017

As I said in my last post, I am honestly impressed with my dedication to covering every major city on my blog this season during fashion month and I've really enjoyed doing it. I proclaimed that Milan had overtaken New York as my favourite city this season, but the Paris AW17 collections completely stole my heart. So, to wrap up fashion month with my final favourites post of AW17, here are my Paris Fashion Week highlights:

S A I N T  L A U R E N T
As I sat flicking through the images of Anthony Vaccarello's second collection for Saint Laurent during a tutorial at university, I struggled to keep my reactions to the various awe-inducing looks inaudible. Though the large amount of day-appropriate looks in the collection is quite unexpected, the dark, high-octane glamour associated with the brand is still retained (I mean, who are you if you didn't see those bedazzling boots on Instagram?). My favourite looks are those that bridge the gap between more pared-down daywear and extravagant eveningwear, including the statement frilled mini skirts and the deep v-neck blouses, as well as the shearling and leather outerwear. 


L A N V I N
The Lanvin AW17 collection takes the ballerina and toughens her up a little, pairing elegant pale pink dresses with black ankle boots and fishnet tights. Continuing this notion throughout the collection, delicate ruffled blouses were worn with leather trousers or sharp blazer, adding edge to prettiness and resulting in a glorious mix-up of textures. I am all over it. 

C H L O É
Chloe has to be among my favourite luxury brands, so it's no surprise to see the heavily 60s/70s inspired AW17 collection featuring in this blog post. The low-waist, wide leg trousers convey Chloé's effortlessly chic vibe well, but I am drawn to the pinafore dresses paired with pretty, ethereal blouses and the retro prints which I associate most with the brand. Creative Director Claire Waight Keller will certainly be missed, but what a collection to end on.

I S A B E L  M A R A N T
With an autumnal colour palette and fluid midi-length dresses in florals which aren't too sickly sweet, at first sight the Isabel Marant AW17 collection lends itself to the more bohemian girl. However, sharpening up looks with leather belts and corsets and pairing dresses with thigh-high boots instantly gives a more city-chic feel. Effortless sophistication is achieved through the navy tailoring, while the darker looks inject some rock and roll glamour but remain wearable (case point: those studded jeans). 

O F F - W H I T E 
Despite appreciating the designs, never would I have described myself as an Off-White kind of girl before - the streetwear that the label is known for is just too cool for my personal style. Yet the AW17 collection made me completely fall in love with the brand from the moment Bella Hadid opened the show in the check-print two piece. Injecting some femininity, without losing the edge that Off-White is known for, the AW17 collection features contemporary tailoring, sheer tops and flowing dresses paired with trainers.

E L I E  S A A B
Without swaying from his signature style, Elie Saab took a darker, more glamorous turn for his AW17 collection. In contrast to the light and bright designs usually sent down the runway, with strong athleisure influences the past few seasons, this collection followed a rich, deep colour palette and showcased plenty of lace, velvet and fur. The polka-dot tights and thigh-high boots (this trend is clearly not going to be short-lived) further accentuate the opulent, after-dark allure Saab is transmitting this season. I don't think the designer could produce a collection I wouldn't love. 

A K R I S
The Akris AW17 collection is made up of a multitude of exquisitely-cut, elevated wardrobe staples. Definitely some of my favourite outerwear of the season (though not quite rivalling Max Mara), chic bombers and longline tailored coats in deep tones of grey, purple and navy were paired with sheer, fluid skirts and dresses, proving that you can stay warm and look good for winter evening antics. Aside from the flattering silhouettes, the amount of textures present is also a delight, including my personal favourites velvet and leather.

C H A N E L
An obvious choice but if you are present on any form of social media you can't possibly escape witnessing the huge space rocket inside the Grand Palais for this season's Chanel show. The collection happened to be far from stereotypically space-themed, however, and I loved many of the looks sent down the runway. Classic Chanel but with a more modern-feel, my favourites pieces are those following a black, white and silver colour palette which opened and closed the show. Special mention to the 60s-inspired hair and makeup too, which I absolutely adore.

If you've made it to the end, I applaud you because things got a bit wordy and I just couldn't narrow my Paris favourites down any further. In fact, I had to prevent myself from adding any more (Zuhair Murad, Wanda Nylon, Sacai, Alexander McQueen, Louis Vuitton - check them out) because I loved this season much. AW17 is set to be a good one fashion-wise, but now I must focus on my final major project instead of constantly procrastinating on Vogue Runway. Until September, fashion month! 

Post a Comment

© Freya Ella. Design by FCD.