Fashion Week Favourites: Couture Autumn/Winter 17

10 Jul 2017

I was recently in Paris during Couture Week and since I didn't get in on any of the action (not even one celebrity sighting!), I made sure I caught up on all of the shows on Vogue Runway when I returned home. I never usually blog about my top couture collections, despite always being in admiration of them, but since my fashion week posts are my favourites to write I thought I would go for it this season. 


E L I E  S A A B

Elie Saab is practically the king of couture in my eyes and his collections never disappoint in terms of providing decadence and glamour. The Autumn/Winter couture collection had a regal and medieval feel to it thanks to the jewel tones, lashings of velvet and gold jacquard embellishment paired with gold headbands. Surprisingly, amongst the numerous elaborate gowns, a cornflower blue cape-and-trouser combination stood out as one of my favourite looks.

G I A M B A T T I S T A  V A L L I

Giambattista Valli is a designer whose feminine and floral ready-to-wear and couture collections always lie among my favourites, including those from sister brand Giamba too. Many of the designs in the Autumn/Winter 2017 collection are highly commercial for couture (if you have a crazy amount of money to spend on one dress), yet the intricacy of the designs, particularly the floral embellishments, is clear. I'm not usually a fan of a waterfall-style hem, seen throughout the collection, but I can make an exception for Valli's huge tulle skirts. 

I R I S  V A N  H E R P E N

What was sent down the runway at Iris Van Herpen's Autumn/Winter 2017 couture show could be more aptly described as art than as fashion. Providing a breather from the multitude of princess-like gowns often shown at couture week and the more daywear-appropriate looks seen across this season at the likes of Dior and Chanel, for example, this collection really demonstrates the craftsmanship and technicality that goes into creating such complex couture pieces while remaining utterly stunning and stand-out too. 

M A I S O N  M A R G I E L A

I first caught a glimpse of the Maison Margiela Autumn/Winter 2017 show in the London Evening Standard of all places and thought the out-there beauty looks sported by the models were slightly crazy yet uniquely beautiful - I'm talking shampoo left in the hair and metal bars adorning the face, exuding a sort of "undone" glamour. When I took a closer look at the collection later on, for which the trench coat was a central focus, it proved to be just as eye-catching, featuring a plethora of interesting materials and deconstructed elements which gave each look a slightly different vibe.

R A L P H  &  R U S S O 

Couture is Ralph & Russo's forte and something they consistently do exceedingly well, so it's unsurprising to see their collection among my favourites this season. This brand is simply a go-to for a gorgeous couture gown, as they have so many to offer, and the overall the essence of the Autumn/Winter 2017 collection was pure glamour. Though Ralph & Russo are among the best when it comes to embellishment (case point: the couture bride - I mean, wow), some of my favourite gowns were the more understated silk numbers in the most flattering silhouettes.


Which collection was your favourite at Couture Week this season?


3 comments

© Freya Ella. Design by FCD.